Monday 19 October 2009

Video Killed The Radio Star

Listen to the Radio Jingle

Electro Fm

The radio station indent was personified towards electronica music. We were asked during the brief to materialize with 3 specific radio jingles that could link in within a conventional mainstream radio show. With very little knowledge on the mystical ways of a Mac machine. I found it difficult to get running with the editing as I am known as the grim reaper of today’s technology, due to errors within the software I was limited to what I could actually produce.

The software we were using was (Soundbooth CS4). The software helped us to edit, cut and apply diegetic effects to enhance and to comply with background soundtracks. I used music from my iPod and had to transfer it to mp3 to make it compatible with other operating systems; I cut and selected various samples from a song to make it sound more organic and earthy in some conscious swathe. The music selected was the skeletal spine to the radio station. I try to relate music towards myself. I like a radio show not to be commercial and almost encrypted to a set routine. I prefer radio presenters who paint themselves within the music they persist and talk about with a taunting passion.

I used samples that are in someway in-looks in that specific music genre. It’s almost has that vintage singe by the way the sound effects constrict the music like it was happening on an old dab radio. The sounds divulge the theme, with electrical urges and the flawless sparks to send out the message that it’s live pulsing on air. Records in the genre typically have electronic sounds and some vocals are delivered in a deadpan, mechanical manner, often through a vocoder or other electronic distortion. I wanted to create a jingle similar to it by using tools to morph the music, but Soundbooth CS4 lacked simple features or having the ability to create a new file or to "reverse" a sound, so it made possibilities harder.

I followed the codes and conventions of creating a radio jingle by applying recognisable soundtracks and indicating a selected target audience almost labelling identification, the speech was clear and relevant and informed the listener on the name and advertised the radio station through short repetitive quotes. As I couldn’t get celebrity endorsement upon the jingle, I decided to improvise and searched the vast seas of internet websites to come across a legal sound clip. I did not want to record within the built-in microphones due to interference and noise so I downloaded a voice over to place over the top of the backing track; the jingle I created was a blended experimental mix tape of a variety of electro beats and If I had the opportunity again, I would stick to engaging sound effects instead of taking apart a song manually to fabricate a soundtrack and this time I would stick to being ‘‘old school’’ by using a authentic PC. I would pace out the time, as I admittedly spend a lot of time fusing the first jingle together and due to a series of tedious errors, my time was limited to start and construct more.

The feature I enjoyed most about using the software was having the capability to blend and shorten tracks. The delegation of creating a memorable jingle to a crowd of listeners wasn’t easy; I try to cull a selection that sounded addictive towards the selected audience. The audience I wanted to pursue towards was the younger generation as they reach the seams of rebellion through glow stick jousting and discordant pop noodles. Listening back to the jingle, I was contented on the ending result. I did have a few minor issues with sorting out the volume levels to try to make everything sound reasonable without sounding distorted, but at the ending result through a crusade of insipid software errors, I made a plausible back of the van radio jingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment